So, wrapping up now with the gallery. So, 15 days, I’d estimated ~30 hours work (normally about 90mins per day, a bit longer at the weekend)
I’ve still got a camp to find, and for Derby I’m going to use the army after Nordlingen , so will need to paint up some Croats and a ‘non’ Spanish regiment to fill the compulsaries!
But done for now! (I can field what I need for the Oxford comp, which was the brief)
Overall , I’m reasonably pleased. The figures were a bit mixed. I’m requiring very hight standards in my old age. In my minf I’d aimed for a over hue to the army and I didn’t get there! Still too dark for my liking. Couldn’t avoid using the GW washes (gotta love ’em), but they do take it down a register.
Post the weekend it’s been reasonably successful. I hadn’t anticipated to do much as weekend are usually family times, but I got a couple of hours in…
The painting phase is now nearly complete. Rather than say what I’ve done .. Here is what is left!
This competition is a pairs competition with teams of two players, one playing an Catholic army and the other one playing a Protestant army. Individual players can enter but will need to be matched with another player for the event. In each round pairs will be drawn against each other and the Catholic player of pair 1 will play the Protestant player of pair 2 and vice versa.
The army lists 15 mm FOG R armies must not exceed 700 points.
Armies: covering the TYW period 1618 to 1648 from the following: –
- Early Thirty Years German Catholic
- Later Imperial Spanish
- 30 Years War Peninsular Spanish
- Later 30 Years War German
- Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1620-1631)
- 30 Year War Danish (1643-1645)
- Early Thirty Years War German Protestant
- Hungarian Transylvanian
- Later 30 Years War German
- 30 Years War Danish (1625 – 1629)
- Early 30 Years War Swedish
- Later 30 Years War Swedish and Weimarian
- Later 80 Years War Dutch
- 30 Years War French
- Early 17th Century French
- Later Ottoman Turkish
- Early Caroline English
Draw: First round draw will be done by date order to match historical opponents a much as possible – thereafter Swiss chess format.
It is proposed that we use 5’’ x 3’. Players must supply their own terrain pieces. As we are using smaller tables then each player will only be allowed up to 4 pieces including the compulsory pieces. In addition the area along the short edge of the table that foot or artillery cannot be deployed in will be 9” and not 12”. The restrict of 9” will also apply to where threatened flank applies.
Things are going well on the painting front. About 1/3 of the way through in 5 days. I know it will slow down towards the end as I get bored.
Just a treat I painted a General. this will probably be Cardinal-Infante Ferdinand of Austria, commander of the Army
The build for this army is for the competition at Oxford. Its a pairs event with each player taking 1 protestant army and 1 catholic army. I drew the short straw with the Catholics. The Protestants get all the choicest armies!!
The army I’m building will represent the Spanish at Nördlingen (1634), at least I’m picking an army where the Catholics won!
Its bases on all the ‘old tercios’ ( “Tercios Viejos”) commanded by Fuenclara, Idiáquez, and Toralto. There is some reasonable cavalryl two in the cuirassier model, and some other odds and ends. The Tercios will be the main fighting force.
The competion is on reduced size table so hoepfully there will be no getting away from the tercios. However I suspect that I will be mostly fighting Swedes all weekend – which won’t be pleasant
Another 15 horsemen done. Todays tally being 15 horse and 8 foot. 38 pieces out of a total of ~250, so on course. Now the novelty of the paint is over and the grind begins
well, the good weather helps today. As I get older I like my 15mms brighter and brighter. So with only a short deadline a bold strategy is called for. So, armed with glue stick and tongue depressors I took the task in hand.
Once all the infantry was prepped out came the spray can! shield your eyes
now , came the toning down, as I wanted it to be a rich yellow (with ubiquitous marroon/red). I used my special soup – and worked well. Always a nerve wrakcing moment
Once the infantry was drying I turned my attention to the horseflesh
A army painter spray and now a dark brown soup mix, it drying now… ready for day 2!
Not bad paint on 90% of the figures in the first day!